Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Mile in Her Shoes

We in society do not value others that don't have a home. But as Christians we follow Jesus, who stated, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.” Matt 8:20


I read a book to the kids last year called Under the Overpass. It really challenged my thinking as a Christian and as a mom. Living in suburbia it is easy to overlook the less fortunate. This thinking somewhat remained in me even after going to Africa. We see poverty as our own doing. So why should we help out those, that put themselves in a bad situation. Every day we see homeless people on the side of the street panhandling for money in the city. Many thoughts normally go towards, they will spend it on booze or drugs. This may in fact be true, but do we just turn and pretend they are not there?

How do we reconcile our actions with our beliefs?

When I took this picture, I knew that I had something. I just didn't know what it was, until I came home and looked at it on the screen. It was her shoe that I saw, or the lack of it. I just sat there and wept. That is when I knew that I needed to see more, the beauty of her. Each of us have beauty to be revealed.

May we be gracious enough, giving enough, loving enough to help others as God leads us.

7 comments:

Danica/Dream said...

I loved that book. I think it really challenges you to look beyond yourself and into the hearts of those in your community.

Jan Parrish said...

Ton,
You got right to the heart of it. Amazing, phrophetic work.

Niki said...

Love this! You know how special this is to me in regards to where God has us right now. I can't wait to get it up on the website and link back to you!

You're a very talented lady!

Jerri Phillips said...

Oh wow.....

Jan Parrish said...

There's an award for you on Bold & Free. :)

inspired said...

;o]

♥Sarah♥ said...

That photo is profound. Your vision for it was God-breathed.